IntellivisionRevolution Forums
Welcome to the official IntellivisionRevolution Forum!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to the official IntellivisionRevolution Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Official Forum

I forgot my password

Social bookmarking
Social bookmarking reddit      

Bookmark and share the address of IntellivisionRevolution Forums on your social bookmarking website

Who is online?
In total there are 36 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 36 Guests

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 189 on Sun 22 Sep 2013, 8:05 am
RSS feeds

Yahoo! 
MSN 
AOL 
Netvibes 
Bloglines 

The Intellivision Forums
Statistics
We have 463 registered users
The newest registered user is greenturtle39

Our users have posted a total of 4155 messages in 882 subjects
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

The Intellivision Forums

You are not connected. Please login or register

Best DK ever, on good ol' NES

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Best DK ever, on good ol' NES Empty Best DK ever, on good ol' NES Tue 06 Nov 2012, 7:28 pm

sloan

sloan

I got Donkey Kong Pie Factory in the mail yesterday for NES. All I have to say is, "Wow!"

I now have as true to arcade a home version as I will see in my lifetime. Granted, I have D2K for Intellivision, and upcoming versions for 7800 and Colecovision look promising, but the graphics on this game are as close to arcade as it gets, short of a Nintendo arcade compilation, which I doubt we'll see anytime soon.

Gameplay is excellent, and the previously missing pie/cement factory level is well done without being overly difficult. I think I will be spending more time with my beloved NES.

2Best DK ever, on good ol' NES Empty Re: Best DK ever, on good ol' NES Wed 07 Nov 2012, 10:38 am

TrekMD

TrekMD

Cool. I looked up a video to see what it was like. I'm posting it here. I still think the 7800 version will beat this one given all the added animations that are missing even on this port for the NES.

https://plus.google.com/+EugenioAngueira

3Best DK ever, on good ol' NES Empty Re: Best DK ever, on good ol' NES Wed 07 Nov 2012, 6:17 pm

sloan

sloan

I forgot about the 'How high can you get?' screens. If 7800 and CV versions have those, along with the ladder climbing intro screen, then I will have to take this claim back.

Biggest drawback to me, as far as 7800 and CV versions go, is having to spend for the expansion modules for each system before even buying the games themselves.

4Best DK ever, on good ol' NES Empty Re: Best DK ever, on good ol' NES Wed 07 Nov 2012, 7:53 pm

TrekMD

TrekMD

I don't know about the CV version but the 7800 XM version does. Here is a video:

Note that this isn't the final version yet!

5Best DK ever, on good ol' NES Empty Re: Best DK ever, on good ol' NES Thu 08 Nov 2012, 6:11 am

onthinice

onthinice
Star Fighter
Star Fighter

That is good news. Thanks for sharing sloan! I have heard about the new Colecovision expansion unit.

Great time to be a Donkey Kong fan no matter what system you play!

6Best DK ever, on good ol' NES Empty Re: Best DK ever, on good ol' NES Thu 08 Nov 2012, 11:04 pm

sloan

sloan

Reading this thread tonight makes me wonder.

It looks like Curt Vendel has taken people's money a year ago, promised completion of XM by April of this year, and also has not delivered other goods to other forum members who payed more than 6 months ago. His credibility and ability to keep to his promises is being called into question.

At this point, I just wish they would port DKXM and Bentley Bear to regular 7800 and release them soon in cartridge form.

7Best DK ever, on good ol' NES Empty Re: Best DK ever, on good ol' NES Fri 09 Nov 2012, 7:54 am

TrekMD

TrekMD

sloan wrote:Reading this thread
At this point, I just wish they would port DKXM and Bentley Bear to regular 7800 and release them soon in cartridge form.

To accomplish this it would require finding and sacrificing carts of rare games in carts that have both extra RAM and POKEY chips (Commando is an example) and it will make releasing DKXM and BB almost as expensive as the XM itself. Neither of these games fit into standard carts.

8Best DK ever, on good ol' NES Empty Re: Best DK ever, on good ol' NES Fri 09 Nov 2012, 6:46 pm

sloan

sloan

Why sacrifice rare carts when guys like CPUwiz and INTVnut are making new PCB's for VCS and intellivision? How hard would it be for someone to start producing new 7800 cartridge PCB's with Pokey chip and additional RAM? RAM is dirt cheap these days, after all.

9Best DK ever, on good ol' NES Empty Re: Best DK ever, on good ol' NES Sat 10 Nov 2012, 12:02 am

TrekMD

TrekMD

sloan wrote:Why sacrifice rare carts when guys like CPUwiz and INTVnut are making new PCB's for VCS and intellivision? How hard would it be for someone to start producing new 7800 cartridge PCB's with Pokey chip and additional RAM? RAM is dirt cheap these days, after all.

No one is making these carts for the 7800. I don't know the technical aspect of it. All I know is that they are not being made. Even if someone chooses to sacrifice Commando carts, they have to be modified to serve the purpose.

10Best DK ever, on good ol' NES Empty Re: Best DK ever, on good ol' NES Mon 12 Nov 2012, 6:26 pm

onthinice

onthinice
Star Fighter
Star Fighter

I really hope the expansion can see daylight. The 7800 seems to have a lot of life left even without the expansion.

I look at the Intellivision and the games coming out are really amazing without any add-ons.

11Best DK ever, on good ol' NES Empty Re: Best DK ever, on good ol' NES Mon 12 Nov 2012, 6:29 pm

onthinice

onthinice
Star Fighter
Star Fighter

I should have added that the last sales report for modern consoles has me curious what is going to happen. I mean sales of consoles down 25%. Will enough people in the future show interest in these old consoles to justify making new carts?

Last edited by onthinice on Mon 12 Nov 2012, 6:32 pm; edited 1 time in total

12Best DK ever, on good ol' NES Empty Re: Best DK ever, on good ol' NES Mon 12 Nov 2012, 6:30 pm

TrekMD

TrekMD

onthinice wrote:I really hope the expansion can see daylight. The 7800 seems to have a lot of life left even without the expansion.

I look at the Intellivision and the games coming out are really amazing without any add-ons.

It will. It always seems to be the same group of whiners over on AA when it comes to the XM. There is a site set up that has updates about what is happening. People just want to complain about it and forget this is a hobby being done by people during their spare time.

13Best DK ever, on good ol' NES Empty Re: Best DK ever, on good ol' NES Mon 12 Nov 2012, 6:31 pm

TrekMD

TrekMD

onthinice wrote:I should have added that the last sales report for modern consoles has me curious what is going to happen. I mean sales of consoles down 25%. Will enough people in the future show interest in these old consoles to justify making new carts.

It'll probably be the 80's all over again.

14Best DK ever, on good ol' NES Empty Re: Best DK ever, on good ol' NES Mon 12 Nov 2012, 10:05 pm

sloan

sloan

TrekMD wrote:
onthinice wrote:I really hope the expansion can see daylight. The 7800 seems to have a lot of life left even without the expansion.

It will. It always seems to be the same group of whiners over on AA when it comes to the XM. There is a site set up that has updates about what is happening. People just want to complain about it and forget this is a hobby being done by people during their spare time.

I don't know. Two said they ordered controllers from Vendel and never received them. Wow!

Also, most of these 'whiners' laid down cash 2-3 years ago, and Curt isn't communicating at all these days. Really, I am surprised there isn't a class action legal claim filed yet, if what these are saying is true.

15Best DK ever, on good ol' NES Empty Re: Best DK ever, on good ol' NES Mon 12 Nov 2012, 10:24 pm

TrekMD

TrekMD

sloan wrote:
TrekMD wrote:

I don't know. Two said they ordered controllers from Vendel and never received them. Wow!

Also, most of these 'whiners' laid down cash 2-3 years ago, and Curt isn't communicating at all these days. Really, I am surprised there isn't a class action legal claim filed yet, if what these are saying is true.

When it is the same people repeating the same thing over and over again, they are whining and looking for attention. Other threads for the XM have had to get closed because even people who have no investment on the XM suddenly start attacking the project or the developers for it. Curt has set a web page where updates are posted. Could they be more frequent? Sure (though they are posted once or twice a month). People can go there and see where progress is but many of these people choose not to do that. Interesting that once Groovy posted something to address the skeptics, these people stopped posting on the thread. It's a cycle and I'm sure it will start again in a week or so.

Curt has already indicated that for those who don't want to wait any more, a refund can be given. So, people should either get the refund and shut up or wait and quit their whining. I'm sorry but it does get old and if there is an alternative that gets you out of it, just take it and move on.

16Best DK ever, on good ol' NES Empty Re: Best DK ever, on good ol' NES Mon 12 Nov 2012, 10:37 pm

sloan

sloan

I guess I just don't see it, especially when these have been waiting that long, and he did promise it for April of this year.

Also, I did notice that the naysayers stopped after Groovybee, but that is only because Al came along and 'liked' his posts. It is obvious and well known over at AA that you can get banned for disagreeing with Al and his cult. Just saying.

All Curt would have had to do was offer a single post in the midst of all that 'whining' to put people at ease, and he didn't even make the effort.

17Best DK ever, on good ol' NES Empty Re: Best DK ever, on good ol' NES Mon 12 Nov 2012, 11:07 pm

TrekMD

TrekMD

sloan wrote:I guess I just don't see it, especially when these have been waiting that long, and he did promise it for April of this year.

Also, I did notice that the naysayers stopped after Groovybee, but that is only because Al came along and 'liked' his posts. It is obvious and well known over at AA that you can get banned for disagreeing with Al and his cult. Just saying.

All Curt would have had to do was offer a single post in the midst of all that 'whining' to put people at ease, and he didn't even make the effort.

The fact remains that there is an "out" for these people. They can get their money back.

Yes, we were all waiting for it to be released in April but there were complications that were well explained that led to the delay. Since then, additional people have been helping Curt to get it finished. It has been demoed at shows. New games that are planned for the XM have also been demoed.

I guess it is much easier to constantly complain than to send an email asking for a refund. These people just want to play "victim" rather than take a step that would put them entirely at ease.

BTW, about Curt not posting...we don't even know if he can right now. For all we know he has no power and/or no internet. He lives in one of the many areas affected by Sandy and, more recently, the snow storm.

18Best DK ever, on good ol' NES Empty Re: Best DK ever, on good ol' NES Wed 14 Nov 2012, 8:00 pm

TrekMD

TrekMD

Curt finally posted today. He had not been able to thanks to Sandy and the Northeaster. We should expect an update on the web site he's set up for official updates next week.

19Best DK ever, on good ol' NES Empty Re: Best DK ever, on good ol' NES Wed 14 Nov 2012, 10:02 pm

sloan

sloan

I hope he and his family are doing fine after the storm.

20Best DK ever, on good ol' NES Empty Re: Best DK ever, on good ol' NES Thu 22 Nov 2012, 12:00 pm

sloan

sloan

I was reading this thread, and it appears that Bentley Bear will not be finished for 7800 XM after all. So sad, and best wishes to Bob DeCrescenzo.

21Best DK ever, on good ol' NES Empty Re: Best DK ever, on good ol' NES Thu 22 Nov 2012, 1:49 pm

TrekMD

TrekMD

That's unfortunate for the community but if he feels it is time to move on, I can only wish him the best. Bentley Bear was nearly finished, so hopefully another one of the guys making games will be able to take the code and finish the game. Only the sound was missing as all levels were completed by Bob.

22Best DK ever, on good ol' NES Empty Re: Best DK ever, on good ol' NES Mon 24 Feb 2020, 12:04 pm

intylab

intylab

I have to wonder why Nintendo didn't bother with the "Pie Factory" level originally, even on Donkey Kong Classics. For that matter, I was surprised to discover there was a cutscene in the arcade version of Donkey Kong Junior many years later.

https://linktr.ee/intylab

23Best DK ever, on good ol' NES Empty Re: Best DK ever, on good ol' NES Mon 24 Feb 2020, 7:56 pm

TrekMD

TrekMD

I'm not sure why. There is a hack of it that adds the Pie Factory, though. Clearly the system could handle it, so who knows what they were thinking.

24Best DK ever, on good ol' NES Empty Re: Best DK ever, on good ol' NES Tue 25 Feb 2020, 8:28 am

intylab

intylab

TrekMD wrote:I'm not sure why.  There is a hack of it that adds the Pie Factory, though.  Clearly the system could handle it, so who knows what they were thinking.

I'm guessing that Donkey Kong was still doing so well that Nintendo wanted the console version slightly crippled, so people would still want to play the arcade version. Perhaps Donkey Kong Junior wasn't quite as popular.

25Best DK ever, on good ol' NES Empty Re: Best DK ever, on good ol' NES Tue 25 Feb 2020, 8:41 am

TrekMD

TrekMD

I suppose that's as good a reason as any.

26Best DK ever, on good ol' NES Empty Re: Best DK ever, on good ol' NES Tue 25 Feb 2020, 8:48 am

intylab

intylab

Now that I think of it, I do have Donkey Kong with the Pie Factory level on my 3DS. It was a digital reward from Club Nintendo. I think I bought the download version of CrossworDS Plus to get it.

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum