IntellivisionRevolution Forums
Welcome to the official IntellivisionRevolution Forum!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to the official IntellivisionRevolution Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Official Forum

I forgot my password

Social bookmarking
Social bookmarking reddit      

Bookmark and share the address of IntellivisionRevolution Forums on your social bookmarking website

Who is online?
In total there are 24 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 24 Guests

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 189 on Sun 22 Sep 2013, 8:05 am
RSS feeds

Yahoo! 
MSN 
AOL 
Netvibes 
Bloglines 

The Intellivision Forums
Statistics
We have 463 registered users
The newest registered user is greenturtle39

Our users have posted a total of 4154 messages in 881 subjects
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

The Intellivision Forums

You are not connected. Please login or register

The ties that bind

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1The ties that bind Empty The ties that bind Mon 06 May 2013, 9:55 pm

sloan

sloan

I have been thinking on this for some time, so please humor me while I rant.

I try to be a positive person, though sometimes I wander into the negative as I may do a little in this thread.

Ever hear grandiose visions for the future of humanity and wonder if or when these things might come to pass? Colonizing Mars? Achievement of world peace? End of poverty and starvation?

I truly like the sound of the latter two, though the first is simply a 'meh' topic as far as I am concerned. Here, however, is why these are likely not achievable: The ties that bind, or commonality in each of us as humans.

With political and religious differences greatly dividing the masses of humanity on our planet, what makes one think we could set those aside long enough for the greater good, even if we had no other choice? Colonizing another planet like Mars? Ignoring the heavy hitters like lack of oxygen, water, and cold temperatures, humanity would most likely stumble over itself. Do you think for one minute that egos and temperamental personalities would not get in the way of such a grand undertaking? I'll leave it at that.

World peace? I always try to trust that peace treaties will work out, and then one side sees fit to ignore the honor of their word. Again, the ties that bind get in the way. Tunnel vision, or the belief that what one group believes is the only way, tends to slant most peace accords.

Ending poverty and starvation? For starters, it would require governments and corporations and billionaire investors to set aside their capitalist tendencies for the greater good of humanity. Short of a miraculous move of God, I do not see it happening. Another limiting factor on this one is the selfishness of many who are being helped. Rather than taking what they need, my guess is that many would take far more given the opportunity. In other words, greed sets in among those who have always had little or nothing. The ties that bind.

Just my 2 cents..

2The ties that bind Empty Re: The ties that bind Thu 06 Jun 2013, 11:55 am

onthinice

onthinice
Star Fighter
Star Fighter

Deep thought Sloan.

I think the common bond that ties us all is that we believe or hope in the good that mankind possesses. Maybe hope is an illusion but sometimes it is all we have when things are down. Hope that things will get better or people can change.

3The ties that bind Empty Re: The ties that bind Thu 06 Jun 2013, 10:05 pm

sloan

sloan

Yah, that's me onthinice, a deep thinker, and oft to my own detriment. Though this is a negative leaning post on my part, I do tend to be a glass-is-half-full person. I agree with you on hope, but do not believe that humanity is automatically inwardly good in nature. That comes through other means.

4The ties that bind Empty Re: The ties that bind Thu 06 Jun 2013, 11:33 pm

onthinice

onthinice
Star Fighter
Star Fighter

Interesting about your belief in humanity. I am intrigued?

Self preservation is another example of the ties that bind us all. Do you feel compassion and sacrifice must be taught to overcome the urge to save our own self interests?

5The ties that bind Empty Re: The ties that bind Tue 11 Jun 2013, 6:06 pm

TrekMD

TrekMD

Well, the hope that humanity can evolve and become better is something that is shown in Star Trek and it is one of the reasons that I like the series. One can only hope that we will learn and grow and become better and that we'll figure out how to eliminate hunger and poverty. That will require some altruistic folks and quite an inventive group of people as the only way to really do that is to have access to virtually limitless resources.

https://plus.google.com/+EugenioAngueira

6The ties that bind Empty Re: The ties that bind Sat 22 Jun 2013, 9:20 am

onthinice

onthinice
Star Fighter
Star Fighter

Very true, TrekMD!

7The ties that bind Empty Re: The ties that bind Sat 13 Jul 2013, 11:41 pm

sloan

sloan

Just saw this tonight, which seems to call into quetsion the very possibility of humans getting along for the length of a trip necessary for exploration of Mars.

8The ties that bind Empty Re: The ties that bind Tue 16 Jul 2013, 12:37 am

onthinice

onthinice
Star Fighter
Star Fighter

I had heard about the mars trip. Yep, it would have to be a married couple to journey that far.Laughing  Even then, I have my doubts.

Two go out but only one comes back!Laughing 

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum