IntellivisionRevolution Forums
Welcome to the official IntellivisionRevolution Forum!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to the official IntellivisionRevolution Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Official Forum

I forgot my password

Social bookmarking
Social bookmarking reddit      

Bookmark and share the address of IntellivisionRevolution Forums on your social bookmarking website

Who is online?
In total there are 28 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 28 Guests :: 1 Bot

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 189 on Sun 22 Sep 2013, 8:05 am
RSS feeds

Yahoo! 
MSN 
AOL 
Netvibes 
Bloglines 

The Intellivision Forums
Statistics
We have 463 registered users
The newest registered user is greenturtle39

Our users have posted a total of 4154 messages in 881 subjects
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

The Intellivision Forums

You are not connected. Please login or register

Tidbits

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Tidbits       Empty Tidbits Wed 22 Aug 2012, 9:17 pm

sloan

sloan

I was thinking of creating a thread where helpful hints and tips could be posted for any and all classic consoles. If I can figure out how to pin a topic on this forum, this one will be pinned at the top.

To get things started:

Atari VCS got a good port of an arcade game called Omega Race. It even came packaged with its own controller add-on called the Booster Grip. The Booster Grip was a necessity for this game because it gave the player an additional fire button for thrust on top of the standard fire button. Since the stock VCS controller only had a single fire button, CBS created Booster Grip. The real problem for modern game collectors is the relative rarity of Booster Grip controllers in comparison to the number of Omega Race game cartridges out there. Thankfully, there is another solution, namely the stock Colecovision controller. The CV controller uses the same DB-9 controller plug and has two separate fire buttons. Presto, problem solved. I suspect that the Atari 7800 proline controller, with its two fire buttons, might work the same magic for Omega Race, but have not tried it to date.

2Tidbits       Empty Re: Tidbits Thu 23 Aug 2012, 9:24 am

TrekMD

TrekMD

Interesting about the Coleco controller on the 2600. My guess would be that the 7800 would do the trick as well. For anyone who doesn't know what the Booster Grip is, here are some images:

Tidbits       Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQXdyckMVoX5NPa0E9XOawb7EkTr3t7ryVDX_xmwuKdG0EAJq9KsQ

Tidbits       Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQL_sz6JLYvz6KWQJ1YrubXAw6LKjc53i9Q0vQGKReLBI_mwkBWyw

I'll see if I can test the 7800 controller for this game if I can get the ROM for Omega Race.

https://plus.google.com/+EugenioAngueira

3Tidbits       Empty Re: Tidbits Sat 25 Aug 2012, 1:09 am

onthinice

onthinice
Star Fighter
Star Fighter

I knew about it but never was sure how it worked. Makes the 2600 controller look better. Thanks for the pictures TrekMD!

4Tidbits       Empty Re: Tidbits Sat 25 Aug 2012, 1:11 am

onthinice

onthinice
Star Fighter
Star Fighter

Good thread idea sloan!

5Tidbits       Empty Re: Tidbits Sat 25 Aug 2012, 1:20 am

TrekMD

TrekMD

Here is another one. The game Survival Run for the Atari 2600 came packaged with a special controller called the Cosmic Commander.

Tidbits       Con_CosmicCommander

Despite its sophisticated appearance, it offers no additional functionality compared to the standard joystick. This means that the game can be played just as well with a regular 2600 joystick or any other Atari 2600 compatible joystick.

6Tidbits       Empty Re: Tidbits Sat 25 Aug 2012, 1:45 am

onthinice

onthinice
Star Fighter
Star Fighter

Never new about that one. Thanks for the tidbit TrekMD!

7Tidbits       Empty Re: Tidbits Sat 25 Aug 2012, 10:08 am

TrekMD

TrekMD

Here is another one, also from Milton Bradley, the Flight Commander controller. This one was packed with Spitfire Attack for the 2600.

Tidbits       Con_FlightCommander

Another cool-looking controller but not required to play the game.

8Tidbits       Empty Re: Tidbits Sat 25 Aug 2012, 5:42 pm

onthinice

onthinice
Star Fighter
Star Fighter

Have heard of Spitfire but not the controller.

9Tidbits       Empty Re: Tidbits Sat 25 Aug 2012, 9:11 pm

sloan

sloan

Thanks for the info. I have seen those Milton Bradley controllers, but never understood what functionality they added to the mix. I am actually looking to add Spitfire and Survival run to my collection soon, so good to know that stock Atari sticks will work well with both games.

10Tidbits       Empty Re: Tidbits Sat 25 Aug 2012, 9:16 pm

TrekMD

TrekMD

I read that the Cosmic Commander takes batteries and adds certain effects during gameplay (supposedly feedback, lights, etc.). Sounds like it would have been fun to use it.

11Tidbits       Empty Re: Tidbits Sat 25 Aug 2012, 9:21 pm

sloan

sloan

Here's another:

For collectors of Genesis I, Jaguar, and Sega CD systems. Same AC power adapter will power all three systems fine, and the plug is identical and tip polarity is same as well. I can only vouch for Sega CD model 2, not model 1 because I do not own one. Genesis models 2 and 3 have a different tip so this does not apply. Also, Jaguar, Genesis 1, or Sega CD power brick can be used on a NES front loader fine. Just never use a NES power brick on any other systems because it outputs DC current and will damage them.

12Tidbits       Empty Re: Tidbits Sat 25 Aug 2012, 11:23 pm

onthinice

onthinice
Star Fighter
Star Fighter

That is a good tip to know! Thanks!

13Tidbits       Empty Re: Tidbits Sat 25 Aug 2012, 11:50 pm

TrekMD

TrekMD

I've heard the Jaguar is rather sensitive when it comes to power supplies and that it is easy to fry the motherboard on it with the wrong power supplies.

14Tidbits       Empty Re: Tidbits Sun 26 Aug 2012, 2:56 pm

sloan

sloan

sloan wrote:Here's another:

For collectors of Genesis I, Jaguar, and Sega CD systems. Same AC power adapter will power all three systems fine, and the plug is identical and tip polarity is same as well. I can only vouch for Sega CD model 2, not model 1 because I do not own one. Genesis models 2 and 3 have a different tip so this does not apply. Also, Jaguar, Genesis 1, or Sega CD power brick can be used on a NES front loader fine. Just never use a NES power brick on any other systems because it outputs DC current and will damage them.

I think I am getting old and forgetful. The Sega Master System model 1 uses the same power brick as Jag, Genny 1, and SCD too.

TrekMD wrote:I've heard the Jaguar is rather sensitive when it comes to power supplies and that it is easy to fry the motherboard on it with the wrong power supplies.

Can't say I have ever heard that. Look at the voltage and polarity ratings on these AC adapters and they are nearly identical (don't have them in front of my face atm but they may be identical). I know that with Sega Genesis, Master system, and CD, they are flexible within a couple volts and amps of each other, but work fine. I know for electronic mavens, if you run too high amperage through a system, it could possibly cause harm over time, but if amperage is lower, then worst you might have is quirky video or similar issues. Again, I have looked and voltage and amperage are highly similar between all five of these systems, and I have interchanged these on my own systems with no ill effects.

15Tidbits       Empty Re: Tidbits Sun 26 Aug 2012, 3:10 pm

TrekMD

TrekMD

It has to do with sort of insulation that the Jaguar doesn't have. Something about this was posted over on RVG. I'm asking the person who posted it for more info.

Edit: Here is what I got back: Basically the only power supply that won't damage the Jaguar is an actual Jaguar one or the one from a Mega Drive / Genesis model 1. So, looks like you're fine with the Genesis power supply.

Here is a link to a discussion about this topic over on AA: Jaguar Power Supply

I know this discussion came up on RVG because someone fried their Jaguar by using another system's power supply.

16Tidbits       Empty Re: Tidbits Sun 26 Aug 2012, 9:01 pm

sloan

sloan

TrekMD wrote:It has to do with sort of insulation that the Jaguar doesn't have. Something about this was posted over on RVG. I'm asking the person who posted it for more info.

Edit: Here is what I got back: Basically the only power supply that won't damage the Jaguar is an actual Jaguar one or the one from a Mega Drive / Genesis model 1. So, looks like you're fine with the Genesis power supply.

I know this discussion came up on RVG because someone fried their Jaguar by using another system's power supply.

Yes, and the Genesis model 1 uses identical power source to the Master System and Sega CD model 2. Model 1 SCD might be in that mix, but I cannot say until I see one. Sega saved money by using the Master System power brick on everything up until Genesis model 2.

17Tidbits       Empty Re: Tidbits Sun 26 Aug 2012, 9:08 pm

TrekMD

TrekMD

sloan wrote:
TrekMD wrote:It has to do with sort of insulation that the Jaguar doesn't have. Something about this was posted over on RVG. I'm asking the person who posted it for more info.

Yes, and the Genesis model 1 uses identical power source to the Master System and Sega CD model 2. Model 1 SCD might be in that mix, but I cannot say until I see one. Sega saved money by using the Master System power brick on everything up until Genesis model 2.

Cool. Just wanted to be sure. Better safe than sorry. Smile

18Tidbits       Empty Re: Tidbits Mon 27 Aug 2012, 4:43 am

onthinice

onthinice
Star Fighter
Star Fighter

Thank you both for looking into this subject! I have wondered about the power supplies for the Genesis and Jaguar.

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum